Here is Carlisle Futsal Clubs simple guide to the rules of playing Futsal:
1. The game of Futsal is played on an indoor or outdoor court, for an International Standard the Court it will be 40mtrs x 20mtrs with 3mtrs x 2mtr goal posts. Recreational courts can be a minimum of 16m x 30m.
3. A team consists of 5 players, 4 court players and 1 goalkeeper; the maximum number of players in a team is 12.
4. No tackling from behind or dangerous slide tackling is allowed.
5. Dangerous play is not allowed.
6. Shin pads are compulsory
7. Players are not permitted to use objects that might endanger them or others, including any kind of accessories, jewellery and/or glasses.
8. Unlimited ‘flying’ substitutions. Players can re-enter the game as many times without notifying the referee, this also includes the goalkeeper (games will not be stopped for substitutions). Substitutions must be made in the substitution area. A substitute player can only enter after the player they are substituting is of the court.
9. There is NO offside in Futsal, and players can score from anywhere in the court of play.
10. When the ball goes out over the sideline, it is then placed on the sideline; it must be stationary and kicked into the court to another player. All opposing players must be at least 5 metres from the ball, the foot not kicking the ball must be OUT of the court or part of the foot touching the side line.
11. A goal cannot be scored directly from a sideling KICK-IN, but you can from a corner KICK-IN.
12. Once the Goalkeeper uses their hands to handle the ball, they must throw the ball back into play, however if the goalkeeper does not handle the ball with their hands, they are free to kick the ball any length and even score.
13. The Goalkeeper is not allowed to drop-kick the ball at any time.
14. Goal Clearance or Goalkeepers throw, the goalkeeper throws the ball from the marked goal area to restart play after the ball has gone over the goal line, last being touched by an attacking player.
15. The goalkeeper has 4 seconds time limit to control the ball and release it from their possession in their own half of the pitch.
16. Goalkeepers are not allowed to pick up the ball with their hands from a deliberate back pass from any of their team mates.
17. The game has a 4 second time limit at all kick-ins, corner kicks and free kicks.
18. Free Kicks, the opposition must be back 5mtrs from the taking of any free kicks, unless the team awarded the free kick decides to take a quick free kick.
19. Hand ball is when a ball touches a player from the shoulder down (not including the shoulder). A deliberate hand ball will be awarded with a direct free kick/penalty to the opposition. An accidental hand ball will be awarded an indirect free kick to the opposition; unless the opposing team gains advantage (advantage rule) ; this decision is up to the referee’s discretion.
20. Each team has 5 team fouls per half, any fouls after the 5th will be penalised with a ten meter penalty shot by the opposition.
21. During the game, a referee has the option of using 2 cards, Yellow and Red.
22. Referees have the right to warn, ask to leave or eject from the Stadium, any spectator or player whom they feel is bringing the game into disrepute.